Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY Cupcake/Cake Tower

Hi everyone! My sweet daughter celebrated her FIRST birthday this weekend! I wanted to have something special to display her mini cake on, so I made this cupcake/cake tower. A word on that "special mini cake"...it so totally didn't work out. At all. ! Instead of getting frustrated about it, I ended up just placing one of the party cupcakes on her tower, and we celebrated with that instead!
So all that to say-don't stress over your DIY idea gone awry. Think of a quick fix, and move on!

I made this tower with a small cardboard box (am I the only one that saves boxes?!), and two formula cans.
I first wrapped the box like a present, and then hot-glued fabric onto the formula cans.  Next I added the ruffles, which are actually crepe paper!

To make your own, purchase a roll of crepe paper.  Next, change the thread tension on your machine as high as it will go (mine is 9).  Start sewing down the middle of the crepe paper, and it will automatically start to ruffle!

The last touches were the award ribbon corsage, which I already had made and just hot-glued on.  I printed the Happy Birthday sign on the computer and glued it to glitter scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.

I was so pleased with how this turned out! I did hot glue the formula cans to the box so the wind wouldn't topple them over.  You could also use a larger box and larger cans to fit more cupcakes if you wanted!

The best part of this project? The only thing I purchased was the crepe paper, which cost $1!

Happy Crafting and Partying!
Sara :)

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great. My daughter would have been thrilled.

    ReplyDelete