Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cake



Becca here!  When I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and knew it was one that would be great for having my kids help me in the kitchen.  It doesn't use any oil, and very little sugar, but has lots of protein & other healthy nutrients to help you stay full until lunch time.  I actually gave my oldest two each their own large mixing bowl and made 2 batches at once.  We thought this recipe was a hit.  I actually preferred it cold & leftover the next day, while the children thought it tasted best warmed up.  Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cake

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use "real salt")
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use my Homemade Real Vanilla Extract)
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 large ripe banana
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use organic, no sugar added, but any is fine)

1) In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir to combine.

2) Add vanilla extract, milk, and egg and stir well to combine.

3) Mash banana well, and stir mashed banana and peanut butter until until all ingredients are well mixed.

4) Pour into a round metal cake pan lightly sprayed with olive oil (I use a misto sprayer).  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

3 comments:

  1. Can you cut a piece so I can see the inside? Sorry, but if it is dry my hubby won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add a picture of the inside of it cut next time we make it; it definitely isn't dry at all though, with the banana and peanut butter, it's very moist and dense. Let me know what he thinks if you make it! Becca

    ReplyDelete