Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rice Chantilly



Becca here with one of my very, very favorites that our Mom used to make when we were growing up!  I use brown rice, but other than that the original recipe is intact.  Thanks to Google, I learned its' origins are likely from the March 1986 issue of Southern Living Magazine.  I always make rice cooker full of rice, since the leftovers give you a great easy start on this dish, as well as, "Cross Family Fried Rice" and Sausage Egg Breakfast Fried Rice.  I like to double this recipe also, as Rice Chantilly is just as good, if not better reheated the next day.

Rice Chantilly

3 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 cup sour cream (see note*)
1 cup cheddar cheese, divided (I use sharp)
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

In a lightly oiled 8x8 pan, combine rice, sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheese, and ground red pepper.  Stir well to combine, and smooth the top evenly.  Top with remaining cheddar cheese, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until heated through.  Enjoy!

*I use the 'regular' sour cream, as it has just 2 ingredients, versus 8-10 with chemically sounding names in the 'lowfat' version.

2 comments:

  1. I will be making this one night this week...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it really is one of my favorites. And so easy, especially if you plan ahead a bit & have leftover rice :) Becca

      Delete