Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Slow Cooker Seasoned Pork Tenderloin {freezer friendly - 3 pounds}



Becca here with another of my favorite type of meals - those that are both freezer friendly AND can be cooked in the slow cooker.  My original inspiration recipe that I started using a couple of years ago is here, though I have changed it quite a bit to suit my family (for example, my husband doesn't love cumin, and I don't usually keep apple juice at home, but almost always have organic apples in the fridge)!  Using a 3 pound pork tenderloin insures that you'll have plenty leftover for a quick meal or two from the freezer later.  I like to serve the meal the day I cook it with the pork sliced, with slow cooker baked sweet potatoes on the side, and then shred the remaining pork and freeze it to use later for a quick Mexican meal that goes great with your favorite toppings, and/or refried beans.  I know the searing of the pork gets an extra pan dirty, but I really think the flavor of browning the meat is worth it.  If you aren't going to try the recipe otherwise though, you *could* skip this step, although I wouldn't recommend it.  Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Seasoned Pork
{freezer friendly - 3 pounds}

3 pound boneless pork tenderloin
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup water
1 whole apple

3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspons Real Salt

Combine spices (chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic, paprika, Real Salt) in a small bowl.  Rub dry spice mixture onto outer surface of pork.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet until very hot.  Sear (brown) the pork roast in the hot skillet, turning every minute or so, until all sides are browned/seared.

Cut apple into 4-6 large slices, and place into bottom of slow cooker.  Place seasoned, seared pork on top of apples.  Pour 3/4 cup of water around the edges of the slow cooker.  Cook on low about 4-6 hours, or until it is done (it will easily cut/shred with a fork). 

To freeze:  Let cool to room temperature.  Remove any bits of remaining, and shred pork.  Package into your-family-sized portions in quart freezer bags.  Defrost overnight in the fridge, and serve warmed.  We like it served with Mexican/fajita type toppings, carnita style, or it makes an amazing taco filler.  Try refried beans on the side too!

No comments:

Post a Comment