Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pasta with Olives & Capers


Becca here with a great pasta dish that I've been making for over ten years now!  I've made a few minor modifications over the years, but it has remained largely the same.  It is a good change from your traditional marinara or cheese on pasta, and is a bit 'fancier' I think.  This recipe was the first time I ever used capers (a tiny flower bud found in a jar on the olive/pickle aisle!) or anchovies.  Yes, anchovies.  They are really only there to provide a great, unique flavor.  They are tiny, salty fish in a can, but literally dissolve into the olive oil leaving no chunks or anything behind.  While you're on that aisle of the grocery store, try picking up a can of boneless skinless sardines also; I bought them for the novelty factor, but have discovered that my kids & I all actually really like them, and they make an amazingly healthy snack!  If you can't get good grape tomatoes (I usually can find good ones at Sam's Club year round), feel free to substitute drained, canned tomatoes.  Enjoy!

4 cups cooked pasta (I like to plan ahead and use leftovers!)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can (2 ounces) anchovies
4 Tablespoons capers
1 can (6 ounces) black olives, drained
2 cups halved grape tomatoes

In a large skillet, heat olive oil, garlic, and anchovies over medium heat, chopping/mashing anchovies with a wooden spoon periodically until they have dissolved and garlic is just beginning to brown.

Stir in capers, black olives, and pasta, and cook, gently tossing frequently, until pasta is warm.  Stir in tomatoes, and serve!

*I actually like the leftovers served as a salad too!

No comments:

Post a Comment