Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Trick "Eggs" {Great for April Fool's Day}



Becca here with a fun recipe that is a family tradition at our house.  And yes, I know April Fool's Day was yesterday, but I've been meaning to post this for a couple of years and keep forgetting, so now you'll have it to remember for next year's April Fool's Day, or to really surprise your kids with a fun trick some other random morning!  I first made these several years ago, and they were such a huge hit with the kids, that I've continued to make them every year.  My oldest two kids this year remembered and were SO excited to see the breakfast again and thought it was super fun.  My 3 year old didn't remember or realize that it wasn't an egg, and commented that it was a REALLY big egg he got for breakfast this morning, ha!  Perfect, and my older ones loved giggling, and being in on the joke.  My baby (who just turned 1 year old, so technically isn't a baby anymore :( was just happy to get a plate, she loves to eat!  Anyway, this is a super simple way that really looks realistic.  I've used apricot halves in the past also, but I don't think they look as realistic in color.  I use Stonyfield Organic French Vanilla yogurt, that's my favorite kind anyway, and I think it has the perfect texture for making a fake egg.  Let me know your kids' reactions when you make them these 'eggs' for breakfast!!  Enjoy!



Trick "Eggs"


Per person -
1 canned peach half (a large can has about 8)
4 ounces of yogurt (my favorite for this, texture & color, is Stonyfield Organic French Vanilla)


Using a large spoon, place the yogurt onto a plate in one big pile.  Use the back of the spoon to smooth it out a bit, in a kind of oval shape.  Keep it thick, because placing the peach 'yolk' on top will flatten it some also.


Drain the peach halves well.  Use another, clean, large spoon to carefully place the egg onto the yogurt.  I try and put them a bit off center, like a real egg :)


Adding breakfast meat or ham makes the meal look even more authentic!  Enjoy!

We also had our traditional (and the one time a year I buy any sort of boxed jello product or gummy worms :) flower bouquet 'dirt cup' pudding with crumbled oreos and gummy worms for dessert.  I've done this different ways in the past, in little terra cotta individual cups (lined with foil!) and with fake flowers, hidden worms, etc. but this year I went simple and used one large container and flowers out of our yard.  Such a simple thing, but something the kids love and look forward to as one of "our" annual family traditions.  I usually do meatloaf muffins with mashed potato 'icing' on top dyed with beet juice, we're still getting into the swing of things from moving a couple of weeks ago, and Tuesdays are my most difficult to get dinner on the table days anyway, so that will have to wait; I told the oldest kids that asked about it, that it would be an even bigger 'fool' when I do it later in April, since they won't be expecting it, and they were, fortunately, excited about that.  What are some of your favorite family traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment