Monday, June 2, 2014

How to Cook Garden Greens

I'd like to share an easy way to prepare garden greens with you today!  Before I met my husband Brett I had definitely eaten my fair share of garden food.  Then he started mentioning "greens".  These were something we'd have on a regular basis at his mom's house and they become a topic of discussion as we began to plan our garden this year.

When I say "greens" I mean like mustard greens or collard greens.  Kale could also be prepared the same way.  We eat greens as a side.  They're simple to prepare, fabulously nutritious, and taste great.  My girls have even eaten them!

These cook down, way down!  So when I say you'll need 2 cups of greens that is a bare minimum.  It will look like so much in the pan until you start to cook them and they wilt down.  You'll be surprised how your large pan of greens suddenly looks like such a small quantity. So don't be afraid to really fill the pan up, adding more even after they've cooked some.

Greens
Ingredients:
At least 2 cups greens of any kind (mustard, collard, kale)
EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
Salt
Vinegar (balsamic or red wine)

Directions:
You can either steam the greens in a bit of water (with the lid off) or cook them in EVOO.  I prefer the EVOO because it gives it a bit more flavor.  You will cook the greens until wilted and then sprinkle salt and a bit of vinegar over the top.  And that's it-you're done!

If you don't have a garden you can always purchase these at the Farmer's Market or buy them in bulk at the grocery store in the produce section!

Happy greens!
Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment