Monday, August 27, 2012

Jambalaya


Hi everyone! Today's recipe is one that my whole family enjoyed-including my 14-month old!  She is a great eater, but sometimes hesitates with tomato-based foods.  I was pleasantly surprised at how this recipe turned out, seeing as I tweaked it as I went.
I read a recipe for Jambalaya out of a Baptist Cookbook I have.  After reading each ingredient, and the directions following I realized I had been thinking "Well, I would use this instead", or "It might be quicker to do it this way."  I ended up using a few of the same ingredients the original recipe called for but made it my own as I went.  This makes quite a bit of food which is perfect for company, or leftovers the next day.

Jambalaya
Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, diced
2 turkey sausage links, sliced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 and 1/2 TB EVOO (Extra-Virgin Olive Oil)
1/2 TB Tony Chachere's seasoning
2 ribs celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 and 1/4 cups uncooked white rice (You could use brown too, although the cook time may vary)
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (You will use 1 and 1/2 cups of tomatoes from this!)
2 cups chicken stock (or 2 cups water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes added)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
salt to taste

Directions:
Heat 1 and 1/2 tablespoons EVOO in a large stock-pot on stove top.  Add diced chicken, sliced turkey sausage, Tony Chachere's seasoning, and garlic.  Cook until chicken is close to being done (not pink in the middle), around 10 minutes.
Add celery, onion, bell pepper,  and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so, or until veggies begin to soften.
Add uncooked rice, 1 and 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock (or water with chicken bouillon added, as stated in ingredients). 
Also add Worcestershire sauce, ground thyme, and salt to taste.  Mix all ingredients together.

Bring jambalaya to a boil, and then lower heat to a simmer.  Cover and continue simmering until rice is done.  Stir every 5 minutes or so to prevent the rice from sticking.  Most of the liquid will be cooked down by this point.  If you'd like a more "saucy" jambalaya you could always add some additional crushed tomatoes.

Happy Eating!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment