Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mini Savory Ham Sandwiches (1/2 the fat of original recipe, all the flavor!)

Becca here with a recipe that, in its original form has definitely made the rounds on Pinterest!  I actually tasted these yummy sandwiches several years ago at a Bunco game, and had a random pregnancy craving for them after seeing the pictures pop up time after time.  I realized that the recipe would likely be a 'splurge' in calories, but had no idea just HOW loaded with fat they were.  The original recipe makes just 12 slider size mini sandwiches, and calls for 1 1/2 sticks of butter, as well as 1 full pound each of meat & cheese!  I was able to cut the fat by more than half, and they were still very rich and tasty.  Plus, I made 16 sandwiches with my recipe.  My husband & kids actually really loved these also.  I've included the name brands of the products I used so you can easily duplicate it, as all deli meat, cheese, etc. isn't the same.  Enjoy!

Mini Savory Ham Sandwiches (1/2 the fat of original recipe)

16 King's Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls (I bought 4, 4 packs for 0.98 each.  This was actually cheaper
                                                                 per ounce than buying the 12 pack!)
9 ounces thinly sliced deli ham (I used Oscar Mayer "Selects" applewood smoked ham with no
                                                   artificial preservatives, etc.)
6.84 ounces thinly sliced Swiss Cheese (I used Sargento Selects Ultra Thin Sliced Swiss, 18 slices)

1 stick butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons minced, dried onion
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Melt butter.  Stir in mustard, worcestershire sauce, onion, and poppy seeds.

Slice the rolls into half horizontally.  Leave the groups together.  Place bottom halves into 9x13 pan, close together so they're each touching.  Evenly cover with ham and cheese.  Replace top halves of rolls.  Drizzle butter mixture evenly over the top of the rolls.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.

Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.  Cut apart into individual rolls for serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment