Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sausage Cheese Breakfast Casserole


Becca here with a classic breakfast casserole that you can't go wrong with!  Our Mom used to make this ahead of time for us to eat on Christmas Morning when we were growing up.  I recently served it for my son's second birthday, and it's a favorite breakfast treat of my family's now as well.  I love that you prepare the whole casserole the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is put it into the oven and bake!  When I'm baking a cold, from the refrigerator, casserole, I always place it into the cold oven, and then preheat the oven after the dish is inside, so the oven and baking dish can warm up together.  Placing a cold baking dish into a hot oven is never a good idea.  I hope you'll try this easy recipe, I'm sure it will become a favorite of your family's too!

Sausage Egg Brunch Casserole

4 cups of bread, cut or torn into bite sized pieces (I use homemade 100% whole wheat)
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 pound breakfast style sausage, browned & drained (try our homemade seasoning!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup grated cheese (my family's favorite is sharp cheddar)

In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Place bread evenly into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
Sprinkle cooked sausage evenly over bread.
Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage & bread.
Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until top is starting to brown.
Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving for nice clean slices.

For making the night before:  Follow all directions, except after sprinkling with cheese, tightly cover casserole dish and place into refrigerator.  When ready to bake, remove pan from fridge, uncover, and place into the cold oven.  Then, preheat the oven to 350, and bake 40 minutes, or until top is starting to brown, as shown above.  Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving for nice clean slices.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish alright! I've had a similar thing made with sliced cooked sausage rolls under that mixture. Also very tasty.

    ReplyDelete