Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"clean eating" caramel popcorn - 5 minute recipe!

Becca here with a tasty treat that comes together in no time, and uses 'clean' ingredients so you can feel good about feeding it to your children for a treat!  I use my "perfect popcorn" recipe with just a brown paper bag, organic popcorn kernels, and your microwave to have a big bowl of fresh popcorn in just a couple of minutes.  Make a quick caramel topping from organic cane sugar, real maple syrup, and real vanilla extract (I use my homemade vanilla extract as a much less expensive & healthier choice!) and you're good to go!  We had a couple of extra kids joining my three here the night we had this, and they all loved it!  I adapted this recipe from one in a recent Clean Eating Magazine.  Enjoy!

"clean eating" caramel popcorn - 5 minute recipe

10 cups air popped popcorn (about 1/3 cup unpopped kernels, I use organic and cook it like this.)
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup 'real' maple syrup
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon 'real' vanilla extract (I use my homemade recipe)
dash of salt (I use Real Salt)

Place popcorn into a large bowl.

In a small saucepan, combine cane sugar and maple syrup, and bring to a boil, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.  After it comes to a boil, lower heat to medium, and simmer 2-3 minutes, or until sauce is thickening.  Remove from heat, and quickly stir in butter, vanilla extract, and salt, until butter melts.  Immediately pour over popcorn, gently tossing popcorn with a wooden spoon as you pour so it coats evenly.  Serve immediately, or eat within 24 hours for best texture.  My batch lasted less than half an hour before it was gone :)  Enjoy!  Becca

1 comment:

  1. delicious!! best popcorn i’ve ever had!

    ReplyDelete